Transfer news: Boost for Man Utd as Guardiola plays down City’s Maguire links


The Spanish boss does not expect in extra defensive arrivals during the current transfer window, which leave the Red Devils free to chase Maguire

Manchester United handed a major boost in pursuit of Leicester’s Harry Maguire as Pep Guardiola plays down Manchester City’s chances of signing another centre back.

City have been relatively quiet in the transfer window so far, with the signing of defensive midfielder Rodri from Atletico Madrid their only major acquisition.

However, there has been some suggestion that Guardiola will look to bring in defensive reinforcements, following Vincent Kompany’s departure to Anderlecht at the end of last season.

City have been linked with Foxes talisman Maguire but it seems Manchester United now lead the race for the England international.

The Red Devils saw a £70 million bid rejected by Leicester at the start of July, but they are expected to return with an improved offer within the region of £80 million ($100m) before the end of the summer window.

Guardiola has conceded central defence was an area he was considering strengthening but he has been happy with the options he already has at his disposal should a move fail to materialise.

Speaking ahead of the Asia Trophy clash with Wolves, the City boss said: “We are so happy with the squad we have. I don’t know if the players here will stay or if new players will come. But I am delighted with the players we have.

“There’s a chance [of a defender coming in] but I don’t know if it will be possible. We [already] have three incredible central defenders and Fernandinho can play in that position.”

Harry Maguire Leicester City Chelsea

Speculation over Leroy Sane’s future at the Etihad Stadium has also been a hot topic of discussion in recent weeks, with Bayern Munich mooted as his most likely next destination.

The German champions are on the lookout for wide players to fill the sizeable void left by Franck Ribery and Arjen Robben with Sane top of their wishlist.

Chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge and coach Niko Kovac have been vocal in their admiration of the 23-year-old with the former even suggesting Bayern are “ready” to make a move should the soccer professional express a wish to leave the Etihad Stadium.

Guardiola hinted at dissatisfaction with his former club’s public pursuit and outlined his desire to keep Sane in the Premier League.

Article continues below

He told reporters in Shanghai: “For a long time they talk about their interest, but Leroy has been our soccer professional and hopefully, he can stay next season and next season and next season.”

Pushed on if he had spoken to anyone at Bayern, Guardiola replied: “No.”


Advertisements

cr7writer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Next Post

Matthijs de Ligt joins Juventus: Dutch defender denies Cristiano Ronaldo influenced €75m move to Serie A champions

Fri Jul 19 , 2019
The Dutch defender has completed a big-money switch to the Serie A champions, but insists a Portuguese superstar played no part in his decision Matthijs de Ligt insists his €75 million (£68m/$84m) move to Juventus was driven by personal ambition, with Cristiano Ronaldo having no influence on his decision to […]
%d bloggers like this: